“So in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts according to the grace given to us.” Romans 12: 5-6
Our mission is to lovingly share Christ with God’s unique individuals, both children and adults, to grow them spiritually, and provide them with opportunities to serve and be served. It is the desire of this ministry to be a lighthouse of hope, acceptance and belonging for individuals with special needs and their families, so they may experience the love of Jesus and excel to their greatest potential becoming all God desires them to be.
A Sunday Buddy is a trained volunteer who comes alongside a child, youth or adult to lovingly help them engage in the various Sunday morning activities at church. Our group of volunteers are trained to meet the needs of your loved one and is committed to living out their Christian faith showing love, patience and compassion to one another.
Our desire is for your loved one to experience God and participate in the body of Christ to their God-given potential while they attend worship and any of the Christian education offerings. Depending upon your desires and your loved one’s abilities and needs, they can be fully or partially included in the general Sunday morning activities.
Buddies are available every Sunday during the 9 and 11 am worship services and the 8:30 and 10:30 am summer services.
Becoming a Member of the Sunday Buddies Program
- Contact Lisa Turner, Director of Children’s Ministries to set up a meeting. A Spiritual Information form will be sent to families for completion before the scheduled meeting.
- At the meeting, the Spiritual Information form will be reviewed and an individualized plan will be established to best accommodate the needs of your loved one.
- Review the GPMC Inclusion Ministries Handbook.
To Request a Sunday Buddy
- To request a Sunday Buddy for your loved one, contact the Inclusion Ministries coordinator at email@example.com no later than the Thursday before. A confirmation email will be sent to you indicating that your request has been received.
- On Sunday morning, bring your loved one to the library (located on the first floor across from Fellowship Hall) to check in and meet the assigned buddy. To allow enough time for check-in, please arrive to the library twenty minutes before the start of worship.
For more information about the Inclusion Ministries please contact Lisa Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barbara Newman presents:
God’s Amazing Spectrum: Welcoming Children and Youth of Varied Abilities
Attitudes and Adam
April 13 & 14, 2019
Barbara Newman, Educator, Author and Director of Church Services for the CLC Network will be at Grosse Pointe Memorial Church the weekend of April 13 and 14, 2019. Barbara will be sharing with us her years of experience and expertise on creating healthy, vibrant communities of inclusion within our community. She will be offering two workshops that are both free and open to the public. Click on this link for more details about each of the workshops. Barb Newman Flyer