As a congregation committed to uphold the promises made at baptism, we teach our children to live the love of Jesus Christ and to help them recognize the work of God in their lives and in the world.
Young Children and Worship
Young Children and Worship is a multi-sensory worship experience for children age 3 through 2nd grade. During the 9 a.m. worship service, the children are excused after the children’s sermon (approximately 20 minutes into the service) to their own Worship center to experience God’s word through storytelling, prayer, art and music.
We have a wonderful team of dedicated, caring teachers committed to providing a strong church school program for the children, teaching them the fundamentals of Reformed faith and leading them on a life-long spiritual journey. Sunday school is offered during the school year from 10 to 11 a.m. on the 3rd floor. Room assignments are listed by grade in the Sunday bulletin and also on the bulletin boards located in the hallway on the 3rd floor. Families are asked to register their child for any of the programs at Grosse Pointe Memorial Church. These forms can be downloaded by clicking on the Christian Education Forms link located on the right.
Growing with God
This program is offered during the summer months at the 8:30 a.m. outdoor service. Children 3 years of age through 2nd grade are invited to come to the vegetable garden following the Children’s sermon. This is their time to worship together and also learn about gardening so that the produce which is harvest may help our neighbors who are in need.
Is our Tuesday, midweek after-school program for children and their families. Every Tuesday during the school year from 4:00 until 6:30 p.m. the children are engaged in recreation, bible study, worship skills and dinner. It is a time of fellowship and fun while nurturing a faith relationship with Jesus Christ. Click here for more information.
Upcoming events for children and families:
A Gift from the Heart
Advent Mission Project for Families with children and youth of all ages
Sunday, December 2, 2018
12:30 to 2:00 PM
Our mission project will provide your family:
- The enjoyment of church fellowship and a potluck lunch (Please provide a side dish or dessert – no dishes with nut products – to share.)
- The opportunity to create a gift basket to be given to one of the older members of our congregation (The church will supply all the materials)
- The pleasure of delivering the gift basket along with well wishes to the lucky recipient (Recipients will be assigned to families before the event)
For planning purposes we require reservations and notice of the dish you plan to offer.
Please RSVP to the Christian Education offices by Tuesday, November 30.
Contact Lisa Turner at email@example.com with any questions.
Sunday, December 16, 2018
9 and 11 o’clock worship services
It’s time for us to begin preparations for the 2018 Christmas Pageant. All children and youth of the church are invited to participate in this wonderful annual tradition. The rehearsal schedule is as follows:
- 3 and 4 year old children who would like to participate in the Christmas pageant will practice their song “Away in a Manger” during Young Children and Worship on Sunday mornings, beginning November 18th in room 200 and 201.
- Kindergarten – 5th grade children will rehearse on Tuesday afternoons, beginning November 27. Note: Rehearsal is at the same time as our Tuesday afternoon LOGOS program. Your child is welcome to stay and participate in LOGOS with the other children!
Tuesday, November 27 – 5:15 to 5:45 pm
Tuesday, December 4 – 4:00 to 4:30 pm
Tuesday, December 11 – 5:15 to 5:45 pm
- Middle/High school students – The rehearsal dates for middle/high school students are November 27th and December 11th from 6:00 to 6:45 pm. Students are also asked to practice their lines at home.
November 27 – 6:00 to 6:45 pm
December 11 – 6:00 to 6:45 pm
Because rehearsal time is limited, please make every effort to have your child attend all rehearsals. There is one mandatory dress rehearsal for everyone on Saturday, December 15, from 9:00 to 10:30 am. Note: 3 and 4 year old children should come to this rehearsal at 10:00 am. This rehearsal is extremely important, as it will be our only opportunity to practice the entire pageant from start to finish with all children and youth.
“Take-out” Acts of Kindness for Advent 2018
This year, children will have an opportunity to use a different type of Advent calendar that doesn’t unfortunately include a daily piece of chocolate! It is called Take-Out Acts of Kindness for Advent. This calendar is based on a suggested action that can be done each day leading up to Christmas.
The idea is not to add one more activity to an already busy time of the year, but rather for this to be a source that brings calm and proper focus to the season. Its intention is to be a daily reminder of what the true meaning of Christmas is all about.
You can pick one up for your family beginning Sunday, November 25 upstairs in the third floor hallway across from room 314.