The information below is from the 2018 mission trip. To learn more about the 2019 high school mission trip, come to the information session on Sunday, October 21, 2018 from 10-11am in Barbour Chapel. We will be revealing our destination, sharing travel and service plans, discussing budget and fundraising, and much more. Hope to see you there!
We are pleased to announce that in June 2018, our high school mission team will travel to San José, Costa Rica! We will be working through a group called Portantorchas, which means “light bearers” or “torch bearers.” GPMC has done mission trips to Costa Rica with Portantorchas before, and we’ve had a great experience! During our trip, we will work on construction projects on homes or churches, doing repairs or building new structures as needed. We may work on projects like demolition, pouring concrete, framing, flooring, or roofing. As we work, our goal is to build deeper relations with God, with the people we serve, and with one another. Read more information about serving in Costa Rica here.
Want more details? Scroll down to keep reading!
Who will be traveling with us?
- Youth currently in grades 9-12. Registration is capped at 32 teens, so register early!
- 8 Adult advisors
What kind of work will we do?
- Building relationships
When will we go?
- June 17-24, 2018
- We will travel to Costa Rica on Sunday and participate in orientation activities when we arrive. Monday – Friday we will serve in San José. Saturday we will have a fun day, perhaps with opportunities to see the rain forest! Sunday we will return home.
Where will we be?
- We will be staying on the Portantorchas campus in San José.
- We will sleep in bunk rooms divided by gender. There are bathrooms with running water.
- We will serve in impoverished neighborhoods in the city of San José.
How will we pay for the trip?
- The total trip cost is $1650 per person.
- This cost is split 3 ways: the church pays $550.00 (for members only), the family pays $550.00 (or $1100.00 for non members), and the youth will fundraise $17,600.00 for entire group.
- The budget includes transportation, food, lodging, and materials for our service projects. The budget does not include spending money for souvenirs or our “fun day” at the end of the trip.
- Each mission trip team member is required to participate in 6 out of 8 scheduled fundraising activities.
- Mission trip team members earn points by helping out in various ways with fundraisers. To receive a full share of the fundraising money, students must earn at least 10 points. Less than 10 points will receive a proportionate amount of individual share, with the balance to be added to the student’s family contribution.
- Parents are expected to contribute to fundraising by leading 1 fundraiser, or signing up to support 2 fundraisers.
- Click here to view our fundraiser information page!
What are the requirements to participate in the trip?
- Going on the mission trip is a year-long commitment! Team members must:
- Participate in at least 6 out of 8 fundraisers.
- Attend at least 2 out of 3 trainings (with a make-up essay if you miss one).
- Attend Departure meeting.
- See the “Important Dates” section below for more information about these required events throughout the year.
How do I apply to come on the trip?
- Registration packets are available here. Please fill out the packet completely, enclose a $300 non-refundable deposit, and remember to include a copy of both sides of your health insurance card and the photo page of your passport.
- Member registration is open now! Non-member registration will open on November 15. Registration closes on December 19.
Who can I talk to for more information?
- Contact Associate Pastor Sarah Godbehere at sgodbehere at gpmchurch dot org, or give her a call at 313-882-5330 ext. 131.
Oct 22: Member registration opens
Oct 29: Fundraiser – M&M’s offering
Nov 11: Fundraiser – Soup-in-a-jar packing
Nov 14: Member registration due
Nov 15: Non-member registration opens
Dec 2 & 9: Fundraiser – Babysitting for Christmas shopping and gift wrapping
Dec 19: Final due date for all registration; Registration closes
Jan 7: Fundraiser – Winter Fest / Chili cook-off
Jan 27: Team training #1 with “late-in”
Feb 3: Fundraiser – Superbowl meal box packing
Feb 21: Final $250 member family payment due (or $800 for nonmembers)
March 3: Fundraiser – “Pub” trivia night
March 10: Team training #2
April 4: All forms due to Christian Education Office
April 13: Fundraiser – Movie night
May 12: Team training #3
May 13: Fundraiser – Flower sale
June 9: Departure meeting
June 17: Depart!