The information below is from our 2017 mission trip to Chicago. In 2018, we will be traveling to an international destination. If you’d like to learn more, our destination will be revealed at the mission trip information session on October 22, 2017 at 10am. We’ll also talk about the work that we will be doing, application procedures, fundraising plans, and more! This website will be updated with our 2018 information after the information session.
We are pleased to announce that this summer, our high school mission team will travel to Chicago! We will be working with a group called DOOR, which stands for Discovering Opportunities for Outreach and Reflection. DOOR writes:
“Chicago has a long standing commitment to activism and community organizing, making it a great place to learn about race, poverty, and other issues of injustice. DOOR Chicago is housed at First Church of the Brethren in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. East Garfield Park is a community full of potential and has a rich history of strong community leaders and activists, including the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who had an office in First Church of the Brethren as he fought for fair housing rights. DOOR Chicago partners with established and well rooted organizations and churches that have been serving the city for many years to provide service opportunities for participants.”
Our goal for this trip is “see the face of God in the city” as we serve in Chicago. We will participate in ministry at:
- An elderly care center that allows groups to interact with senior citizens of differing abilities through playing games, participating in crafts, and sharing stories
- An urban gardening network throughout the city that allows groups to garden alongside neighborhood stakeholders
- A local church committed to being peacemakers in their neighborhood parks and invites groups to play alongside their neighbors
- An outreach center that provides opportunities for groups to serve in the three shelters of their homeless prevention program: a daycare facility, a free store, and a soup kitchen
Who will be traveling with us?
- Youth currently in grades 9-12. Registration is capped at 40 teens, so register early!
- Adult advisors
- Staff from DOOR
What kind of work will we do?
- Hanging out with kids, adults, and the elderly
- Preparing and serving food
- Sorting and stacking items
When will we go?
- June 18-24, 2017
- We will travel to Chicago on Sunday and participate in orientation activities when we arrive. Monday – Thursday we will serve throughout the city. Friday we will have a fun day in Chicago, and Saturday we will return home.
Where will we be?
- We will be staying in a church in East Garfield Park.
- We will sleep in small classrooms and the balcony in the sanctuary. Sleeping areas are divided by gender. There are four bathrooms and four showers for participants to share.
- We will serve all over the city of Chicago, traveling by public transportation to our work sites.
How will we pay for the trip?
- The total trip cost is $600 per person.
- This cost is split 3 ways: the church pays $200.00 (for members only), the family pays $200.00 (or $400.00 for non members), and the youth will fundraise $8,000.00 for entire group.
- The budget includes transportation, food, lodging, and materials for our service projects. The budget does not include spending money for souvenirs or our “fun day” at the end of the trip.
- Each mission trip team member is required to participate in fundraising activities. Stay tuned for more information!
How do I apply to come on the trip?
- Registration packets are available here. Please fill out the packet completely, enclose a $100 deposit, and remember to include a copy of your health insurance card.
- Member registration is open now! Non-member registration will open on November 23. Registration closes on December 23.
Who can I talk to for more information?
- Contact Associate Pastor Sarah Godbehere at sgodbehere at gpmchurch dot org, or give her a call at 313-882-5330 ext. 131.
Oct 30: Member registration opens
Nov 22: Member registration & $100.00 deposit due
Nov 23: Non-member registration opens
Dec 13: Non-member registration & $100.00 deposit due
Dec 23: Registration closes
Feb 21: Final $100 member family payment due (or $300 for nonmembers)
April 4: All forms due to Christian Education Office
March, April, May: Orientation and training (dates TBD)
June 18: Depart!