Grosse Pointe Memorial Church has two youth groups:
- L.I.F.E. Living In Faith Evermore, Middle School youth group, grades 6-8.
- T.U.X.I.S. Together Under Christ In Service, High School youth group, grades 9-12.
Did you know? The X in T.U.X.I.S is a reference to the Greek letter chi, which looks just like an English letter X. Chi is the first letter in the Greek work for Christ, Χριστός. Because of chi, X is sometimes used as an abbreviation for the word Christ. For instance, people sometimes abbreviate “Christmas” by saying “X-mas.”
We are blessed with a vibrant and engaged youth group here at Memorial. Meeting weekly on Tuesday nights, we break bread together, share a time of fellowship, prayer, study and – of course – play. Dinner is from 6-6:30pm, followed by worship, study, and games from 6:30-8pm. Feel free to come to any portion of the evening. We also have special service and social events throughout the year. Take a look at our full calendar, or browse through a selection of our upcoming events below.
Here are some of our upcoming events:
- Every Tuesday, 6-8pm: Dinner, Fellowship, Study and Play
- Tues, Sept 20, 6pm: LIFE/TUXIS kickoff with games and color tag. Wear clothes you can get messy!
- Thurs, Sept 22, 6:30pm: Many of you have helped shop for and stuff gift baskets for foster care youth at Wayne State. You are all invited to meet some of the recipients of those baskets at a meeting of the Faith Communities Coalition on Foster Care at GPMC. Members of the TIP program at Wayne State will be talking about the program and sharing some of their talents.
- Tues, Sept 27, 6pm: LIFE and TUXIS meeting with work on a service project for the homeless
- Sat, Oct 1, 8:30am-6pm: Middle School retreat at Howell
- Tues, Oct 4, 6pm: LIFE and TUXIS meeting with work on a service project for the homeless
- Tues, Oct 11, 6pm: LIFE and TUXIS meeting with work on a service project for the homeless
- Tues, Oct 18, 6pm: TUXIS shops for gift baskets; LIFE work on a service project for the homeless
- Sun, Oct 23, 10am: Mission trip information session
- Tues, Oct 25, 6pm: LIFE and TUXIS meeting with mission trip information session
- Fri, Oct 28 – Sun Oct 30: High school retreat to Sandusky, OH with Cedar Point Hallow-weekends
- Tues, Nov 8, 4pm: LIFE and TUXIS host Shelter Week dinner!
- Tues, Nov 15, 6pm: LIFE and TUXIS meeting with Youth Sunday planning
- Tues, Nov 22: OFF for Thanksgiving
- Tues, Nov 29, 6pm: LIFE and TUXIS meeting with Youth Sunday Planning
- Tues, Dec 6, 6pm: LIFE and TUXIS meeting
- Tues, Dec 13, 6pm: last meeting of LIFE/TUXIS for 2016! Christmas party
Check our calendar for more information. If you have any questions, please contact Associate Pastor, Rev. Sarah Godbehere at sgodbehere at gpmchurch dot org.