Welcome to the GPMC Wedding Music listening page! We’ve prepared this page to help you choose organ music for your wedding ceremony. All of these music clips are played on the church’s Klais pipe organ so you can hear the music as it will sound at your service.
The music is arranged in four groups: A. Grand and Glorious; B. Joyful and Celebratory; C. Light and Cheerful; and D. Soft and Lovely. You will want to choose a variety of selections from more than one category.
Here is the music for a typical wedding:
Prelude Music – 10 to 20 minutes, usually chosen by the organist to complement your selections
Seating of the Parents – choose a piece from group C or D
Procession of the Attendants – choose one selection from category C (or another category if you wish)
Procession of the Bride – choose one piece from group A or B
Recessional (as the bride and groom exit the church) – music from category B is most appropriate.
Other musical elements, such as congregational hymns and vocal solos, will be chosen at your meeting with the Minister of Music.
A. Grand and Glorious
1. Trumpet Voluntary (Jeremiah Clarke): the quintessential wedding processional
2. Trumpet Tune in D major (David Johnson): an alternative to the Trumpet Voluntary
3. Overture from “Music for the Royal Fireworks” (Handel)
4. Theme from “Jupiter” (Holst)
5. Hornpipe, from “Water Music” (Handel)
B. Joyful and Celebratory
6. The Rejoicing, from “Music for the Royal Fireworks” (Handel): great for the recessional!
7. Rigaudon (Campra)
8. Let Heaven and Earth Rejoice (Bach)
9. Trumpet Tune (Purcell)
10. The Heavens Declare the Glory of God (Marcello)
11. Wedding March (Mendelssohn)
C. Light and Cheerful
12. March from “Judas Maccabeus” (Handel)
13. St. Anthony Chorale (Brahms)
14. Gavotte (Handel)
15. Prelude to a Te Deum (Charpentier)
16. Air, from “Water Music” (Handel)
17. Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring (Bach)
18. Spring, from “The Seasons” (Vivaldi)
19. Autumn, from “The Seasons” (Vivaldi)
D. Soft and Lovely
20. Rhosymedre, or “Lovely” (Vaughan Williams)
21. Air from Orchestral Suite No. 3 (Bach)
22. Arioso (Bach)
23. The Peace, from “Music for the Royal Fireworks” (Handel)
24. Minuet, from “Berenice” (Handel)
25. Canon in D (Pachelbel)
26. Gymnopedie No. 1 (Satie)
Thank you for listening!