Who will be serving with us?
- Youth currently in grades 9-12 are eligible to join our mission trip team.
- GPMC adult advisors.
What kind of work will we do?
- Pouring a driveway for a church and day care center.
- Working in an impoverished neighborhood in San José.
- Building relationships with the people we serve.
When will we go?
- June 2021.
- Our trip includes two travel days, 5 days of service, and one fun day to experience more of Costa Rica.
Where will we be?
- We will stay on the Portantorchas campus in San José.
- We will sleep in bunk rooms divided by gender.
- Meals are served in common area on campus.
- Bathrooms include hot showers.
What is a typical day like?
- 6:30am Wake up, get dressed
- 7-7:30am Announcements and Morning Devotion
- 7:30-8am Breakfast
- 8:15am Depart Portantorchas for work site
- 8:30-10am Work
- 0-10:15am Break
- 10:15-12:30 Work
- 12:30-1:15pm Lunch on-site
- 1:15-3:30pm Work
- 3:30-4pm Clean up on-site
- 4pm Depart work site for Portantorchas
- 4:15-6pm Afternoon free time
- 6-7pm Dinner
- 7-8pm Evening Devotion & Small Groups
- 8-10pm Evening Free time
- 10-10:30pm Quiet time
- 10:30pm Lights Out
How will we pay for the trip?
- The family portion of the trip cost is 1/3 of the total cost for church members and 2/3 of the total cost for non-members.
- The budget includes transportation, food, lodging, the fun day, and materials for our service projects.
- Each mission trip team member is required to participate in fundraising activities, so that we can raise the final 1/3 of our trip budget.
- For more information, see the fundraising section below!
What are the requirements to participate in the trip?
- Going on the mission trip is a year-long commitment! Team members must:
- Participate in group fundraisers.
- Attend 3 mission trip team meetings (with a make-up essay if you miss one).
- Attend Departure meeting.
How can we prepare for the trip?
- Get your passport! Apply now for a passport, if needed. If you already have a passport, check to make sure it is valid until at least September 2022. If it will expire before then, renew your passport.
- Update your vaccinations. You should get:
- Routine vaccinations up-to-date, including polio, flu shot, MMR, and especially tetanus
- Hepatitis A
- Typhoid (oral or injectable)
- Hepatitis B if desired (optional)
Registration and Fundraising
How do I apply to come on the trip?
- Registration packets will be available here in January 2021. Please fill out the packet completely; make sure the medical form is notarized; enclose a $300 non-refundable deposit per person; and remember to include a copy of both sides of your health insurance card and the photo page of your passport.
How does fundraising work?
- Youth are expected to participate in group fundraisers.
- Parents are expected to plan and lead trip fundraising efforts.
- Need-based scholarship are available.
- Fundraisers help us create community in the mission trip team, and they help make trips affordable for everyone.
Who can I talk to for more information?
- Contact Associate Pastor Sarah Godbehere or give her a call at 313-882-5330 ext. 131.